NOTICE FOR MEDICAL INFORMATION: Pages 1 - 6.
NOTICE FOR FINANCIAL INFORMATION: Pages 7- 8. MEDICAL INFORMATION PRIVACY NOTICE THIS NOTICE DESCRIBES HOW MEDICAL INFORMATION ABOUT YOU MAY BE USED AND DISCLOSED AND HOW YOU CAN GET ACCESS TO THIS INFORMATION. PLEASE REVIEW IT CAREFULLY.
Effective January 1, 2013 We are required by law to protect the privacy of your health information. We are also required to send you this notice, which explains how we may use information about you and when we can give out or "disclose" that information to others. You also have rights regarding your health information that are described in this notice. We are required by law to abide by the terms of this notice.The terms "information"or "health information" in this notice include any information we maintain that reasonably can be used to identify you and that relates to your physical or mental health condition, the provision of health care to you, or the payment for such health care.We have the right to change our privacy practices and the terms of this notice. If we make a material change to our privacy practices, we will provide to you a revised notice by direct mail or electronically as permitted by applicable law. In all cases, we will post the revised notice on your health plan website, such as www.myuhc.com or www.uhcwest.com. We reserve the right to make any revised or changed notice effective for information we already have and for information that we receive in the future.UnitedHealth Group collects and maintains oral, written and electronic information to administer our business and to provide products, services and information of importance to our enrollees. We maintain physical, electronic and procedural security safeguards in the handling and maintenance of our enrollees? information, in accordance with applicable state and federal standards, to protect against risks such as loss, destruction or misuse.
How We Use or Disclose Information We must use and disclose your health information to provide that information:
1. To you or someone who has the legal right to act for you (your personal representative) in order to administer your rights as described in this notice; and
2. To the Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services, if necessary, to make sure your privacy is protected.
We have the right to use and disclose health information for your treatment, to pay for your health care and to operate our business. For example, we may use or disclose your health information: - For Payment of premiums due us, to determine your coverage, and to process claims for health care services you receive, including for subrogation or coordination of other benefits you may have. For example, we may tell a doctor whether you are eligible for coverage and what percentage of the bill may be covered.
- For Treatment. We may use or disclose health information to aid in your treatment or the coordination of your care. For example, we may disclose information to your physicians or hospitals to help them provide medical care to you. - For Health Care Operations. We may use or disclose health information as necessary to operate and manage our business activities related to providing and managing your health care coverage. For example, we might talk to your physician to suggest a disease management or wellness program that could help improve your health or we may analyze data to determine how we can improve our services. - To Provide You Information on Health Related Programs or Products such as alternative medical treatments and programs or about health-related products and services, subject to limits imposed by law. - For Plan Sponsors. If your coverage is through an employer sponsored group health plan, we may share summary health information and enrollment and disenrollment information with the plan sponsor. In addition, we may share other health information with the plan sponsor for plan administration if the plan sponsor agrees to special restrictions on its use and disclosure of the information in accordance with federal law. - For Reminders. We may use or disclose health information to send you reminders about your benefits or care, such as appointment reminders with providers who provide medical care to you.
We may use or disclose your health information for the following purposes under limited circumstances:
- As Required by Law. We may disclose information when required to do so by law. - To Persons Involved With Your Care. We may use or disclose your health information to a person involved in your care or who helps pay for your care, such as a family member, when you are incapacitated or in an emergency, or when you agree or fail to object when given the opportunity. If you are unavailable or unable to object, we will use our best judgment to decide if the disclosure is in your best interests. - For Public Health Activities such as reporting or preventing disease outbreaks. - For Reporting Victims of Abuse, Neglect or Domestic Violence to government authorities that are authorized by law to receive such information, including a social service or protective service agency. - For Health Oversight Activities to a health oversight agency for activities authorized by law, such as licensure, governmental audits and fraud and abuse investigations. - For Judicial or Administrative Proceedings such as in response to a court order, search warrant or subpoena.- For Law Enforcement Purposes. We may disclose your health information to a law enforcement official for purposes such as providing limited information to locate a missing person or report a crime. - To Avoid a Serious Threat to Health or Safety to you, another person, or the public, by, for example, disclosing information to public health agencies or law enforcement authorities, or in the event of an emergency or natural disaster .- For Specialized Government Functions such as military and veteran activities, national security and intelligence activities, and the protective services for the President and others. - For Workers? Compensation as authorized by, or to the extent necessary to comply with, state workers compensation laws that govern job-related injuries or illness. - For Research Purposes such as research related to the evaluation of certain treatments or the prevention of disease or disability, if the research study meets privacy law requirements. - To Provide Information Regarding Decedents. We may disclose information to a coroner or medical examiner to identify a deceased person, determine a cause of death, or as authorized by law. We may also disclose information to funeral directors as necessary to carry out their duties. - For Organ Procurement Purposes. We may use or disclose information to entities that handle procurement, banking or transplantation of organs, eyes or tissue to facilitate donation and transplantation. - To Correctional Institutions or Law Enforcement Officials if you are an inmate of a correctional institution or under the custody of a law enforcement official, but only if necessary (1) for the institution to provide you with health care; (2) to protect your health and safety or the health and safety of others; or (3) for the safety and security of the correctional institution. - To Business Associates that perform functions on our behalf or provide us with services if the information is necessary for such functions or services. Our business associates are required, under contract with us, to protect the privacy of your information and are not allowed to use or disclose any information other than as specified in our contract. - For Data Breach Notification Purposes. We may use your contact information to provide legally-required notices of unauthorized acquisition, access, or disclosure of your health information. We may send notice directly to you or provide notice to the sponsor of your plan through which you receive coverage. - Additional Restrictions on Use and Disclosure. Certain federal and state laws may require special privacy protections that restrict the use and disclosure of certain health information, including highly confidential information about you. "Highly confidential information" may include confidential information under Federal laws governing alcohol and drug abuse information and genetic information as well as state laws that often protect the following types of information:
2. Mental health;
3. Genetic tests;
4. Alcohol and drug abuse;
5. Sexually transmitted diseases and reproductive health information; and
6. Child or adult abuse or neglect, including sexual assault.
If a use or disclosure of health information described above in this notice is prohibited or materially limited by other laws that apply to us, it is our intent to meet the requirements of the more stringent law. Attached to this notice is a Summary of Federal and State Laws on Use and Disclosure of Certain Types of Medical Information. Except for uses and disclosures described and limited as set forth in this notice, we will use and disclose your health information only with a written authorization from you. Once you give us authorization to release your health information, we cannot guarantee that the person to whom the information is provided will not disclose the information. You may take back or "revoke" your written authorization at anytime in writing, except if we have already acted based on your authorization. To find out where to mail your written authorization and how to revoke an authorization, contact the phone number listed on the back of your ID card.
What Are Your Rights The following are your rights with respect to your health information: - You have the right to ask to restrict uses or disclosures of your information for treatment, payment, or health care operations. You also have the right to ask to restrict disclosures to family members or to others who are involved in your health care or payment for your health care. We may also have policies on dependent access that authorize your dependents to request certain restrictions. Please note that while we will try to honor your request and will permit requests consistent with our policies, we are not required to agree to any restriction. - You have the right to ask to receive confidential communications of information in a different manner or at a different place (for example, by sending information to a P.O. Box instead of your home address). We will accommodate reasonable requests where a disclosure of all or part of your health information otherwise could endanger you. We will accept verbal requests to receive confidential communications, but requests to modify or cancel a previous confidential communication request must be made in writing. Mail your request to the address listed below. - You have the right to see and obtain a copy of health information that may be used to make decisions about you such as claims and case or medical management records. You also may in some cases receive a summary of this health information. You must make a written request to inspect and copy your health information. Mail your request to the address listed below. In certain limited circumstances, we may deny your request to inspect and copy your health information. We may charge a reasonable fee for any copies. If we deny your request, you have the right to have the denial reviewed. If we maintain an electronic health record containing your health information, when and if we are required by law, you will have the right to request that we send a copy of your health information in an electronic format to you or to a third party that you identify. We may charge a reasonable fee for sending the electronic copy of your health information. - You have the right to ask to amend information we maintain about you if you believe the health information about you is wrong or incomplete. Your request must be in writing and provide the reasons for the requested amendment. Mail your request to the address listed below. If we deny your request, you may have a statement of your disagreement added to your health information. - You have the right to receive an accounting of certain disclosures of your information made by us during the six years prior to your request. This accounting will not include disclosures of information made: (i) prior to April 14, 2003; (ii) for treatment, payment, and health care operations purposes; (iii) to you or pursuant to your authorization; and (iv) to correctional institutions or law enforcement officials; and (v) other disclosures for which federal law does not require us to provide an accounting. - You have the right to a paper copy of this notice. - You may ask for a copy of this notice at any time. Even if you have agreed to receive this notice electronically, you are still entitled to a paper copy of this notice. You also may also obtain a copy of this notice on your health plan website, such as www.myuhc.com orwww.uhcwest.com.
Exercising Your Rights
- Contacting your Health Plan. If you have any questions about this notice or want to exercise any of your rights, please call the toll-free member phone number on the back of your health plan ID card or you may contact the UnitedHealth Group Customer Call Center at 866-633-2446.
-Submitting a Written Request. Mail to us your written requests for modifying or cancelling a confidential communication, for copies of your records, or for amendments to your record, at the following address:
UnitedHealthcare Customer Service -
Privacy Unit PO Box 740815
Atlanta, GA 30374-0815
- Filing a Complaint. If you believe your privacy rights have been violated, you may file a complaint with us at the address listed above.
You may also notify the Secretary of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services of your complaint. We will not take any action against you for filing a complaint.
FINANCIAL INFORMATION PRIVACY NOTICE THIS NOTICE DESCRIBES HOW FINANCIAL INFORMATION ABOUT YOU MAY BE USED AND DISCLOSED AND HOW YOU CAN GET ACCESS TO THIS INFORMATION. PLEASE REVIEW IT CAREFULLY.
Effective January 1, 2013
We are committed to maintaining the confidentiality of your personal financial information. For the purposes of this notice, "personal financial information" means information about an enrollee or an applicant for health care coverage that identifies the individual, is not generally publicly available, and is collected from the individual or is obtained in connection with providing health care coverage to the individual.
Information We Collect
We collect personal financial information about you from the following sources:
1. Information we receive from you on applications or other forms, such as name, address, age, medical information and Social Security number;
2. Information about your transactions with us, our affiliates or others, such as premium payment and claims history; and
3.Information from consumer reports.
Disclosure of InformationWe do not disclose personal financial information about our enrollees or former enrollees to any third party, except as required or permitted by law. For example, in the course of our general business practices, we may, as permitted by law, disclose any of the personal financial information that we collect about you, without your authorization, to the following types of institutions:
To our corporate affiliates, which include financial service providers, such as other insurers, and non-financial companies, such as data processors;
To nonaffiliated companies for our everyday business purposes, such as to process your transactions, maintain your account(s), or respond to court orders and legal investigations; and
To nonaffiliated companies that perform services for us, including sending promotional communications on our behalf.
Confidentiality and SecurityWe maintain physical, electronic and procedural safeguards in accordance with applicable state and federal standards to protect your personal financial information against risks such as loss, destruction or misuse. These measures include computer safeguards, secured files and buildings, and restrictions on who may access your personal financial information.Questions About this NoticeIf you have any questions about this notice, please call the toll-free member phone number on the back of your health plan ID card or contact the UnitedHealth Group Customer Call Center at 866-633-2446.
HEALTH PLAN NOTICE OF PRIVACY PRACTICES:
FEDERAL AND STATE AMENDMENTSRevised: January 1, 2013The first part of this Notice, which provides our privacy practices for Medical Information (pages 1 - 5), describes how we may use and disclose your health information under federal privacy rules. There are other laws that may limit our rights to use and disclose your health information beyond what we are allowed to do under the federal privacy rules. The purpose of the charts below is to:
show the categories of health information that are subject to these more restrictive laws; and
give you a general summary of when we can use and disclose your health information without your consent.
If your written consent is required under the more restrictive laws, the consent must meet the particular rules of the applicable federal or state law.
Summary of FederalLaws
Alcohol & Drug Abuse Information
We are allowed to use and disclose alcohol and drug abuse information that is protected by federal law only (1) in certain limited circumstances, and/or disclose only (2) to specific recipients.
We are not allowed to use genetic information for underwriting purposes.
Summary of State Laws
General Health Information
We are allowed to disclose general health information only (1) under certain limited circumstances, and /or (2) to specific recipients.
CA, NE, PR, RI, VT, WA, WI
HMOs must give enrollees an opportunity to approve or refuse disclosures, subject to certain exceptions.
You may be able to restrict certain electronic disclosures of health information.
We are not allowed to use health information for certain purposes.
We will not use and/or disclosure information regarding certain public assistance programs except for certain purposes
MO, NJ, SD
We are allowed to disclose prescription-related information only (1) under certain limited circumstances, and /or (2) to specific recipients.
We are allowed to disclose communicable disease information only (1) under certain limited circumstances, and /or (2) to specific recipients.
AZ, IN, KS, MI, NV, OK
Sexually Transmitted Diseases and Reproductive Health
We are allowed to disclose sexually transmitted disease and/or reproductive health information only (1) under certain limited circumstances and/or (2) to specific recipients.
CA, FL, IN, KS, MI, MT, NJ, NV, PR, WA, WY
Alcohol and Drug Abuse
We are allowed to use and disclose alcohol and drug abuse information (1) under certain limited circumstances, and/or disclose only (2) to specific recipients.
CT, GA, KY, IL, IN, IA, LA, NC, NH, WA, WI
Disclosures of alcohol and drug abuse information may be restricted by the individual who is the subject of the information.
We are not allowed to disclose genetic information without your written consent.
CA, CO, IL, KS, KY, LA, NY, RI, TN, WY
We are allowed to disclose genetic information only (1) under certain limited circumstances and/or (2) to specific recipients.
Restrictions apply to (1) the use, and/or (2) the retention of genetic information.
FL, GA, IA, LA, MD, NM, OH, UT, VA, VT
HIV / AIDS
We are allowed to disclose HIV/AIDS-related information only (1) under certain limited circumstances and/or (2) to specific recipients.
AZ, AR, CA, CT, DE, FL, GA, IA, IL, IN, KS, KY, ME, MI, MO, MT, NY, NC, NH, NM, NV, OR, PA, PR, RI, TX, VT, WV, WA, WI, WY
Certain restrictions apply to oral disclosures of HIV/AIDS-related information.
We are allowed to disclose mental health information only (1) under certain limited circumstances and/or (2) to specific recipients.
CA, CT, DC, IA, IL, IN, KY, MA, MI, NC, NM, PR, TN, WA, WI
Disclosures may be restricted by the individual who is the subject of the information.
Certain restrictions apply to oral disclosures of mental health information.
Certain restrictions apply to the use of mental health information.
Child or Adult Abuse
We are allowed to use and disclose child and/or adult abuse information only (1) under certain limited circumstances, and/or disclose only (2) to specific recipients.
AL, CO, IL, LA, NE, NJ, NM, RI, TN, TX, UT, WI
 This Medical Information Notice of Privacy Practices applies to the following health plans that are affiliated with UnitedHealth Group: ACN Group of California, Inc., All Savers Insurance Company; All Savers Life Insurance Company of California; American Medical Security Life Insurance Company; AmeriChoice of Connecticut, Inc.; AmeriChoice of Georgia, Inc.; AmeriChoice of New Jersey, Inc.; Arizona Physicians IPA, Inc.; Care Improvement Plus of Maryland, Inc.; Care Improvement Plus of Texas Insurance Company; Care Improvement Plus South Central Insurance Company; Care Improvement Plus Wisconsin Insurance Company; Citrus Health Care, Inc.; Dental Benefit Providers of California, Inc.; Dental Benefit Providers of Illinois, Inc.; Evercare of Arizona, Inc.; Golden Rule Insurance Company; Health Plan of Nevada, Inc.; MAMSI Life and Health Insurance Company; MD - Individual Practice Assocation, Inc.; Medical Health Plans of Florida, Inc.; Medical Healthcare Plans, Inc.; Midwest Security Life Insurance Company; National Pacific Dental, Inc.; Neighborhood Health Partnership, Inc.; Nevada Pacific Dental; Optimum Choice, Inc.; Oxford Health Insurance, Inc.; Oxford Health Plans (CT), Inc.; Oxford Health Plans (NJ), Inc.; Oxford Health Plans (NY), Inc.; PacifiCare Life and Health Insurance Company; PacifiCare Life Assurance Company; PacifiCare of Arizona, Inc.; PacifiCare of Colorado, Inc.; PacifiCare of Nevada, Inc.; Physicians Health Choice of Arkansas, Inc.; Physicians Health Choice of New York, Inc.; Physicians Health Choice of Texas, LLC; Preferred Partners, Inc.; Sierra Health and Life Insurance Company, Inc.;UHC of California; U.S. Behavioral Health Plan, California; Unimerica Insurance Company; Unimerica Life Insurance Company of New York; Unison Health Plan of Delaware, Inc.; Unison Health Plan of the Capital Area, Inc.; United Behavioral Health; UnitedHealthcare Benefits of Texas, Inc.; UnitedHealthcare Community Plan, Inc.; UnitedHealthcare Community Plan of Texas, L.L.C.; UnitedHealthcare Insurance Company; UnitedHealthcare Insurance Company of Illinois; UnitedHealthcare Insurance Company of New York; UnitedHealthcare Insurance Company of the River Valley; UnitedHealthcare of Alabama, Inc.; UnitedHealthcare of Arizona, Inc.; UnitedHealthcare of Arkansas, Inc.; UnitedHealthcare of Colorado, Inc.; UnitedHealthcare of Florida, Inc.; UnitedHealthcare of Georgia, Inc.; UnitedHealthcare of Illinois, Inc.; UnitedHealthcare of Kentucky, Ltd.; UnitedHealthcare of Louisiana, Inc.; UnitedHealthcare of Mid-Atlantic, Inc.; UnitedHealthcare of the Midlands, Inc.; UnitedHealthcare of the Midwest, Inc.; United HealthCare of Mississippi, Inc.; UnitedHealthcare of New England, Inc.;UnitedHealthcare of New Mexico, Inc.; UnitedHealthcare of New York, Inc.; UnitedHealthcare of North Carolina, Inc.; UnitedHealthcare of Ohio, Inc.; UnitedHealthcare of Oklahoma, Inc.; UnitedHealthcare of Oregon, Inc.; UnitedHealthcare of Pennsylvania, Inc.; UnitedHealthcare of South Carolina, Inc.; UnitedHealthcare of Texas, Inc.; UnitedHealthcare of Utah, Inc.; UnitedHealthcare of Washington, Inc.; UnitedHealthcare of Wisconsin, Inc.; UnitedHealthcare Plan of the River Valley, Inc.
2 For purposes of this Financial Information Privacy Notice, "we" or "us" refers to the entities listed in footnote 1, beginning on the first page of the Health Plan Notices of Privacy Practices, plus the following UnitedHealthcare affiliates: AmeriChoice Health Services, Inc.; DCG Resource Options, LLC; Dental Benefit Providers, Inc.; HealthAllies, Inc.; MAMSI Insurance Resources, LLC; Managed Physical Network, Inc.; OneNet PPO, LLC; Oxford Benefit Management, Inc.; Oxford Health Plans LLC; ProcessWorks, Inc.; Spectera, Inc.; UMR, Inc.; Unison Administrative Services, LLC; United Behavioral Health of New York I.P.A., Inc.; United HealthCare Services, Inc.; UnitedHealth Advisors, LLC; UnitedHealthcare Service LLC; UnitedHealthcare Services Company of the River Valley, Inc.; UnitedHealthOne Agency, Inc. This Financial Information Privacy Notice only applies where required by law. Specifically, it does not apply to (1) health care insurance products offered in Nevada by Health Plan of Nevada, Inc. and Sierra Health and Life Insurance Company, Inc.; or (2) other UnitedHealth Group health plans in states that provide exceptions for HIPAA covered entities or health insurance products.